Throughout the 14th and 15th centuries, the primitive medieval constructions gave way to palatial constructions that were located in the center of the cities as a symbol of the power held by the nobles. However, in some places – eminently in rural towns – medieval defensive castles were still being built, this is the case of the work that concerns us here, the well-known Coca Castle built in the town of the same name, in the province of Segovia in Castilla y León, Spain.
The particularities of the Coca Castle are numerous, including its location. The castle is one of the few defensive fortifications that is not located on a natural hill, but rather sits on escarpments of the land. On the other hand, we must point out that the Coca Castle is one of the most outstanding Gothic-Mudejar buildings on the Iberian Peninsula and was declared a National Historic Monument in 1931.
The first known information about the aforementioned castle dates back to the middle of the XV century, more specifically from the year 1453, when the nobleman Alonso de Fonseca y Ulloa requested permission from the Castilian monarch to begin the construction of the complex, however the works were delayed and did not begin until a few years later; In fact, most of the construction was carried out in the 1970s, when Alonso de Fonseca had already died and the population ofCoca along with its castle belonged to his nephew, Alonso de Fonseca y Avellaneda. According to the documentary sources found in this regard, the castle must have been completed in the year 1493.
The construction materials used in the building are stone and brick and it is precisely the use of the latter that tells us about the master builders who took part in its construction, possibly of Sevillian origin and great connoisseurs of the Mudejar aesthetic as well as the Hispano-Muslim art that developed with the arrival of the Muslims in the Peninsula. In this way, brick has been used both for the realization of some constructive and other decorative elements and stone, specifically limestone, for support elements such as the main walls of the fortification and the columns of the patio.
In this context we have to point out that we are facing a castle with a quadrangular plan as used to be common in the Middle Ages. Its broad defensive character is determined by the two walls that surround the quadrangular courtyard. The first of the walls is preceded by a deep moat and allows access to a second walled enclosure. In the corners of the construction four different towers have been incorporated, the most outstanding being the homage tower, inside which we find the most outstanding rooms such as the Weapons Room or the chapel. These rooms overlap each other connecting by a narrow spiral staircase that was made of brick. Also, the towerof the tribute guards the access to the interior of the castle.