Clergy Church of Porto

Clergy Church of Porto
Clergy Church of Porto
Anonim

This church is one of the most prominent temples in the city of Oporto in Portugal. It is a church preferably of Baroque style, and it is a magnificent example to see how this style spread throughout the European continent. From its beginnings in Italy as the church of Saint Susanna of Maderno spread throughout Europe, from east to west, from countries like Austria with examples such as Melk Monastery to Great Britain, with buildings such as Castle Howard, and even crossed the Atlantic to reach America where the style was developed Hispano-American Baroque. Although, in each of the territories where Baroque art arrived, it acquired local characteristics that personalize it.

Bell tower of the Clerigos Church

Bell Tower of the Clerigos Church

Of course, there are also different architectural testimonies of this style in Portugal, and one of the most prominent is this Iglesia dos Clérigos. In fact, the building was designed by the Italian architectNicolau Nasoni, of Tuscan origin but who spent practically his entire career in Portugal. Even this architect, who was also a painter, is buried in the church itself.

The work was promoted by the Brotherhood of Poor Clerics in the 18th century, an organization designed to help religious withmore financial problems. The church began in 1732, and due to intrigues its execution was stopped some time later. And the truth is that it was opened for worship in 1748, but it was not yet finished. Something that would finally happen in the year 1763.

The most outstanding element of the whole complex is its bell tower, the tallest in the city and once the tallest building in the entire country. In fact, not only did it formerly fulfill its function of housing the bells (it has 49), but it was also a beacon of light and thanks to its height of 76 meters it guided the boats that navigated the waters of the river Duero that crosses the city.

Facade of the Clerigos Church

Facade of the Clerigos Church

As for the church itself, it has a façade in the baroque style highly evolved almost rococo. To reach the entrance door, you have to climb a monumental staircase, and from there you access its interior with an elliptical floor plan, where the altarpiece of the main chapel stands out as an emblematic work, made in polychrome marble by the artist Manuel dos Santos Porto. The entire interior is covered by a large vault covered in marble and supported by 12 large columns.

In general, the whole church meets the general characteristics of Nasoni, who carried out many other works for Portugal. But possibly this is his masterpiece. In short, it is a construction made of granite, a material that he was passionate about, and thatit is designed to house a profuse decoration of baroque and rococo style. Even some of these ornamental works of a sculptural nature were designed by Nasoni himself, who spent 52 years of his life working for the Congregation of Poor Clerics.

Popular topic