Pilate House, Seville

Pilate House, Seville
Pilate House, Seville
Anonim

The one popularly known as Casa de Pilatos and whose real name is El Palacio de los Adelantados Mayores in Andalusia is one of the most typical constructions in the Seville capital and one of the most outstanding examples of an Andalusian mansion that has come down to our days. The work is a great example of the synthesis experienced throughout the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries when the traditional Gothic forms gave way to a much more modern concept, The Renaissance. In this way, and contrary to what it might seem, artistic periods and stages overlap in time for years, making it possible for us to find different forms of one current or another in artistic constructions or creations, as occurs in the work we are analyzing here.

800px-Casa_Pilatos_5384865645_1642bfa658_o

Construction of the palace began in the last years of the 15th century,specifically in the year 1483, when the IV Mayor of Andalusia – Pedro Enríquez de Quiñones- and his second wife Catalina de Ribera wanted to seal their love with the construction of a new home. However, the Adelantado never got to see the work finished since he died before it was finished and it had to be finished by his son and his grandson. It was precisely his son Fadrique Enríquez who sponsored some of the expansions of the palace and who insisted that they be carried out in a Renaissance style that he himself had been able to observe on his trip throughfrom Italy on the way to Jerusalem; it was also he who gave the palace the nickname of the House of Pilate in commemoration of his pilgrimage

Access to the palace is through a Renaissance-style portico that appears to be the work of the artist Antonio María Aprile and was made of marble; It is a semicircular arch with large Corinthian pilasters of a giant order that are finished off in a Gothic cresting which seems to have been ordered to be transported by the original commissioners of the project from another of their palaces located in Bornos, province of Cádiz. The portico gives access to a typical Andalusian patio where the Mozarabic stela is still present with the traditional fountain that presides over the space. In the loggias or galleries of the patio we find multiple busts that represent Roman emperors as well as two figures that are located in the corners of the patio and represent Pallas Athena.

The main floor is accessed by a monumental single-staircase that has been decorated with a splendid ceiling in Islamic style and tiled as is typical in the area. On this floor we find important frescoes by artists such as Francisco Pacho and canvases by the likes of Sebastiano del Piombo see the Pietà de Úbeda which is currently on display at the Prado Museum in Madrid.

All this, as well as its excellent conservation, led to the complex being declared a National Monument in 1931.

Popular topic