Bellini's Annunciation

Bellini's Annunciation
Bellini's Annunciation
Anonim

This work is one of the different creations that made up the interior of the church of Santa Maria dei Miracoli in the city of Venice. A temple built between 1481 and 1489 by the architectPietro Lombardoand his sons Antonio and Tullio. Although at the time the church was defined as a fantasy out of the brushes of Carpaccio and Bellini.

Bellini's Annunciation

Bellini's Annunciation

To the latter, to Giovanni Bellini (1430 – 1516) belongs this large canvas (224 x 196 cm) painted in oil that was once above the doors of the organ, hence there are two different parts, with Mary praying on one side and the archangel Saint Gabriel on the other.

A work of great quality, despite the fact that historians have sometimes cataloged the painting as a workshop creation in which only the basic drawing would be attributable to Bellini, while the color and final execution would be a task of his assistants. However, as we say, the high quality of the set has also made other scholars think that it would be a work of the master.

One of the most interesting values ​​of this scene of the Annunciation of the Virgin is the studied composition in which the spaces and clothing are created from a geometric layout, very much in line with the thoughtful perspective studies that the Italian painters of the Renaissance carried outout, with Piero della Francesa in the lead.

This can be seen in the tiling of the floor or in the checkerboard that creates the coffered ceiling, and even in the angel's dress. Although, by dividing the scene into two parts, coinciding with the leaves of the door, the artist has generated a single vanishing point, but not central, but slightly tilted, so that it has an important role.

That escape point is the window on Mary's side, while on the Archangel's side, we see the corner of the room, thus closing off the room and thus giving us an important spatial reference.

On the other hand, as for the decoration that is reflected in that room, there are scholars who think that it was a replica of the marble decoration in gray and pink tones of the church itself, which is obviously inspired by the purest classicist forms of Renaissance architecture.

If you visit this Venetian church today you will not find this work there, as it was one of the most coveted pieces of furniture art in the temple. For this reason, it is currently exhibited in the Academy Gallery of the city of canals itself.

Popular topic